I’ve seen a couple of college advice text posts going around, so for my beautiful followers starting college this month, I present to you:
How to win at college, according to Katie (leftoflovely)
1. Go to class. Even if it sucks, even if it’s at 8 a.m. (wow that feels a lot earlier than it did last year now that your roommate’s first class isn’t till 10:30, right?) even if you ‘know that already’ or can just learn it from the book, even if it’s a giant lecture class. Your grades will thank you.
2. Introduce yourself to your professors/instructors. Go to office hours if you need help- that’s what they’re there for.
3. Get involved. There are a crazy amount of clubs on any given campus, and it’s a great way to meet people and make friends outside of your dorm and classes. If that club corresponds with your major, bonus points, because that’ll look great on your resume.
4. Your roommate might be amazing or they might be terrible, but at bare minimum, they need to be someone you’re okay sharing a living space with. Don’t be afraid to involve your RA’s or even change rooms— having a crappy living situation will negatively affect every part of your life.
5. Don’t call a professor Mr. or Mrs. Lastname unless they ask you to— and they probably won’t. Start with the most formal title until they tell you otherwise (Professor Lastname, Dr. Lastname, etc.)
6. Never buy your textbooks from the campus bookstore unless you have no other option. Google search cheap textbooks.
7. "Well, they’re doing it, too" is not a good enough reason to do something. Be smart and be safe.
8. Don’t let someone tell you how to experience college (or life, for that matter). You do you, whether or not that’s different from your roommate or your classmates or 90% of the student body.
9. Ask for help when you need it. Many universities offer free or inexpensive counseling services.
10. Have an amazing time.
IF YOU SAY YOU LIKE READING BUT YOU CHOOSE TO BUY A KINDLE OVER AN ACTUAL PHYSICAL BOOK THEN I SWEAR TO GOD I AM GOING TO COME INTO YOUR HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND WAKE YOU UP AND HUG YOU SO HARD AND MAYBE WE CAN PAINT OUR NAILS TOGETHER AND TALK ABOUT OUR FAVOURITE BOOKS BECAUSE READING IS A WONDERFUL THING AND THE MAGIC IS IN THE WORDS SO WE SHOULD NEVER LIMIT OURSELVES BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE THINK THEY’RE BETTER THAN YOU FOR THE WAY THEY CHOOSE TO READ
astrandedrose tagged me in this a week ago and hey look I’m finally doing it! (thanks!! :)
1.What’s your name? Katie
2. What’s your URL? leftoflovely
3. What’s your blog’s name? Shake the dust
4. Have a crush? Fictional? Jim Halpert or Sebastian Stan.
5. What’s your favourite colour? blue!
6. WRITE SOMETHING IN ALL CAPS: MY PUPPY IS SNUGGLING W/ ME RN AND IT’S GREAT
7. Got a favourite band/singer? can’t do it, caaan’t do it, four way tie between NEEDTOBREATHE, Switchfoot, Nickel Creek and Mumford & Sons.
8. Favourite number? Ummm I have no idea???
9. Favourite drink? Water or tea! (wine or hard cider, if we’re talking alcohol here)